Sound Case Studies Task.

Rogue Legacy








  1. What style of sound is used? (Are the sounds impressionistic, expressive or a mix of both?)

    The style of Terraria is very mixed in terms of sound in my opinion. It has both elements of impression and expression. The composer of Terraria’s music (Scott Lloyd Shelly) did an exceptional job of just that as he said in an interview which can be found below. He said that it was a “2D game, with a retroish 80’s pixelated look” and that “I need to pay musical homage to that 8 bit era”



    Terraria Interview with composer 


    Why do you think the creators chose this style?

    The creators chose this style as when they were doing interviews they Said that they Wanted to “pay musical homage to the 8bit era”

    What effects does this choice of style have?

    This style of sound conveys what the game is showing, a nice calm relaxing game with a nice atmosphere.

    What production techniques do you think the creators used to generate this sound?

    The creators used mixed references so that they could compare their own mixed tracks to professional tracks. As they were making the tracks, layer by layer, they would have been using Master stage Gaining; Now this is the process of adjusting your levels at each gain stage for optimum overall signal quality.

    Why do you think the creators chose these production techniques?

    The producers chose those production techniques because then they could monitor the sound throughout the game and alter different segments or parts as they saw fit/if they needed to fix them.

    What effects does this choice of production techniques have?

    The effect this choice of production technique is that there would be virtually no imperfections with the track and sounds themselves as they have been all edited out/changed/fixed.

    Explain how these decisions present a creative solution to a problem:

    These solutions that these developers were able to think of to combat the problem of making a 2D “8 bit” soundtrack Using the production techniques discussed above we really allow them to be very specif as they could alter little stages to make the gains suit the place and time.

    How would a different stylistic approach or use of different production techniques have affected the experience?

    Using a different approach wouldn’t have had the same affect, but it probably wouldn’t of had a better affect than the one described above due to the technique described above being so specific.

Princess Sword Fight Re-Dub



How will this task help you to meet the current requirements and parameters of your project? (Explain the purpose of the task. What did you learn? How can you apply this knowledge and experience to future work?)

This task will enable me to gain the necessary skills I need for use in my own FMP and my current task which is a 2D pixel art platform game. I know now from this expericence if i cant get the sound i want from a free sound website, I will go and make my own with the help of “”.

What research activities did you undertake in order to help you create your sounds and dubs? Were these activitieseffective? What other research activities could you have undertaken? (Remember that observation, experimentation and trial and error are forms of research)

Research for this particular piece of work was actually very simple. during class we watched a pixelated sound version of the matrix and we also were able to use the orignal clip of sword fighting for inspiration. Find below my finished version of the dub.

How will this task help you to plan and organise your work on the current project? (Consider the results of your experiments. What effect did these processes have on the material i.e. the film sequence? How can you use this knowledge in your planning? Were there any problems with either process? How would you factor this into your planning?)

This task will give me the experience of planning my sounds and to organise where they will be saved and stored. What I did to my clip/sequence of film as we only had a chunk of 30s to work on actually made mine lighter. I had small sounds with tiny save files and this lightened the overall project in data. Using the knowledge previously explained i can assume that if im re-dubbing something else and I plan on using small sounds the file will reduce in data somewhat.

How did you apply your practical skills (include screenshots where relevant)? Did you learn any new skills during the process?

My practical skills were very useful in this scenario as it took my mind to imagine the sounds that was going to be within my dub from the research I did, I had to use my research skills and my thought process during this to get an effective result in this practical task.

How effective were your solutions in solving this audio-based problem? Consider the strengths and weaknesses of your work. How could you improve your sounds and your sound dubs? How do the two results compare?

My solutions weren’t as effective as I’d originally planned them to be, although they weren’t as strong at the beginning of the dub they got better and better as time went on. My syncing up within the footsteps were sloppy at best during the start, now that I’ve finished it I can deffinitly tell there was a difference which was rectified before the final post.




I rather enjoyed this paticular week as I could have my own say, imagine my own finish for a famous movie scene. It was fun using the website “” to generate ours sounds as it allowed us to have our own creative freedom to tweek the sounds to our particular specification.

We also had to look at the difference in sounds between two 2D platform games. This was different to the usual stuff I look up, but nether the less It was interesting to say the least, I did not expect to find so many differences and similarities in the ways the sounds were made and inspired.